Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year, More Blogging

One of my new year's resolutions is to start blogging again! I know my blog has been kind of a failure, but I'm going to give it another go.

After looking back on the last year, where I've been, the friends of made, the lessons I've learned, I'd say I've had a pretty fabulous 2010. Let's look at some highlights:
-Took all UD courses winter quarter, 3 of which were literature, and managed to get all A's! (...k, one A-)
-Enjoyed the sun, sorority stuff, and some well needed relaxation during spring quarter..
-Spent the summer traveling to Montana, Las Vegas, Florida, NorCal and New York...all while dreaming/ thinking/ preparing for my year abroad.
-Dealt with a significant relationship in my life ending.
-Arrived in Madrid, struggled through culture shock, a little homesickness, and some really disgusting dorm food.
-Made new bestfriendships with my amazing roommates. We are practically family now :)
-Traveled to Barcelona, Rome, Amsterdam, Dublin, Gran Canaria, Granada, Córdoba.
-Found romance unexpectedly. I met Santi one night at a club in Madrid... I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I knew he could be someone special in my life :) Not only has he taught me Spanish, he has welcomed me into his world of amazing friends and delicious comida filipina. He's changed the way I view life and love and made my abroad experience all that much better.
-Welcomed my parents to Madrid for Christmas and New Years! Having them here was the best present I could have asked for. After the holidays I realized how important it is to me to eventually live somewhere close (or at least closer) to home when I grow up.

And now here are a few things I'm looking forward to in 2011:
-Becoming fluent in Spanish.
-Seeing my best friends Linda & Stephen, at least a few times, in EUROPA!
-Visiting London, Berlin, Copenhagen, Brussels, Paris, Venice, Florence, Greece and hopefully more places!
-Living it up for the next 6 months in Madrid.
-Coming home to California and it's amazing food <3
-Turning 21, heading to VEGAS.
-Turning 21, heading to NAPA.
-SENIOR YEARRR, LIVING ON DP!!!


Thinking about coming home makes me excited but sad at the same time. I don't want to get ahead of myself, I still have 6 months left! In a few days I'll be celebrating Dia de Los Reyes with Santi and his mom! I guess it's a Spanish tradition, every January 6th, to eat "roscon" for breakfast. Roscon is a doughy sweet bread that has a hidden porcelain surprise of sorts! Whoever gets the surprise in their piece of roscon has good luck for the rest of the year. Hope its meee! Later on thursday we're going shopping! Apparently stores here do this "Rebajas" thing after the holidays every year. There's supposed to be mad sales... And I want new boots.

Oh and update: Soy profesora de inglés! That's right, Marissa Morimoto, English Teacher at your service! I currently have two students. One is a 40 yr old, mas o menos, professional who needs to perfect his English for his new job. I spend a lot of time preparing for our classes because they are each TWO hours long and I'm scared of running out of things to do. My other student is a 12 yr old girl. Our class starts next week, but I have a feeling I'll have more fun with it. It's pretty easy money, considering I just get to speak in my native tongue, play games and do grammar exercises... pero mi jefa es una puta! If I didn't want the extra money so bad I wouldn't take all her shit. Maybe on my way out of Spain she'll get a piece of my mind.

That's all for tonight, folks. Over and out.