Monday, October 25, 2010

Barcelona, Rome and Back

Although I have failed at writing in my blog often, it is only because I am too busy enjoying my life abroad! A few weeks ago I went to Barcelona with a group of people in my program and I had a blast. I saw the beautiful yet unfinished La Sagrada Familia and took an elevator ride up into the towers. The view was amazing...the climb down, not so much. Another highlight of my trip was going to the Market de la Boqueria.



I had a blueberry banana smoothie, MMM! Before heading back Madrid I also bought some brie and bread for the bus ride, so sophisticated.

While in Barcelona, I also got to reconnect with Annie Mickle, eat the BEST MEXICAN FOOD I'VE HAD SINCE HOME (Go to Rosa Negras!), go clubbing on the beach, see the Museo de Picazzo, and experience hostel living for the first time! The name of our hostel was Equity Point Centric. It was pretty clean and we met a lot of cool people in our 12 person room.


The last day in Barcelona my wallet was stolen. Yeah, dude. Two middle aged women stampeded me as I tried to get on the metro. My purse was crossed over my body and zipped in front of me, a suitcase in one hand and a bag of food in the other. Two seconds after making it onto the metro, I look down, my passport is on the floor, my ipod speakers are hanging out of my purse, and my wallet is gone. Those two ladies even had the audacity to STAY on the metro with me! So for the whole metro ride I was screaming at them and they were only responding with "que?" and had smirks on their faces. What the fuck, Barcelona? Luckily I had made copies of all my credit cards and had my parents cancel all my cards within 10 minutes of the attack.

Anyways, later that day I was back in Madrid and wallet-less. Two days later I was in Roma, visiting Whitney! Rome was a blast. We did a Colosseum Pubcrawl...which would've sucked if it wasn't for the insane break dancers at the final club we went to! Felt like I was in Step Up or something, not that I've seen the movie.

I got to eat REAL food, AUTHENTIC gelato, and take lots of pictures! Whitney's friends were really fun and one of them was a total history buff! I got to see all the major sites like Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Forum, Colosseum, Campo, Vatican, and more while also receiving a history lesson!


Now I'm back in Madrid and Courtney is here visiting! I LOVE HAVING HER HERE :) We've gone out every night since she's been here. And now, 4 bottles, 3 discotecas, and 3 nights later, we are TIRED! We managed to make a day trip today to El Escorial. It was only 3.5e to go there via charter bus. We went to the museum at the famous monasterio there and met Jahel and a friend for lunch after! (Jahel is an exchange student my family had when I was 5 years old, now she's a grown woman and she's showing me around her country!)

Monday and Tuesday I have class and then Wednesday Courtney and I are going to Toledo for the day! THEN AMSTERDAM FROM THURSDAY - SUNDAY! Thanks for booking a 5 star hotel for us, Mom & Dad! It's going to be a REAL vacation :) I love my life!

Plans after Amsterdam: Cordoba, Granada, and then Dublin in November!